Versatile and boasting a large number of uses, some of which may surprise you, coconut oil offers some major advantages.
When it comes to cooking and baking, common vegetables oils, such as corn, soy, safflower, sunflower and canola, aren’t ideal. Particularly high in omega-6 fats, these oils are highly susceptible to heat damage due to the many double bonds they have.
Getting rid of these omega-6 vegetable oils that may be in your kitchen cabinets is a good idea, and there are two main reasons why:
Most people believe that frying creates trans fats, but that is not the biggest issue because the amount is relatively minor. There are far more toxic chemicals produced by frying omega-6 oils than trans fats.
Frying destroys the antioxidants in oils and thus oxidizes them, leading to cross-linking, cyclization, double-bond shifts, fragmentation and polymerization, which can cause far more damage than trans fats.
- Vegetable oils contribute to the overabundance of omega-6 fats in your diet and the potential imbalance of your omega-6 to omega-3 ratio.
There is only one oil that is stable enough to resist heat-induced damage during cooking, and that’s coconut oil.
Nature’s Richest Source of MCTs
The uniqueness of coconut oil is directly related to its chemical structure, or more precisely, the length of its fatty acid chains.
Coconut oil is comprised of medium-chain fatty acids (MCFAs), also called medium-chain triglycerides or MCTs, and is nature's richest source.
By contrast, most common vegetable or seed oils are comprised of long chain fatty acids (LCFAs), also known as long-chain triglycerides or LCTs.
There are several reasons why LCTs are not as beneficial for you as the MCTs in coconut oil, primarily because LCTs:
- Are difficult for the body to break down – they must be packaged with lipoproteins or carrier proteins and require special enzymes for digestion.
- Put more strain on the pancreas, the liver and your entire digestive system.
- Are predominantly stored in your body as fat.
- Can be deposited within arteries in lipid forms, such as cholesterol.
In contrast, the MCTs in coconut oil are:
- Smaller, able to permeate cell membranes easily without the use of lipoproteins or special enzymes.
- Easily digested, thus putting less strain on your digestive system and avoiding an insulin spike in your bloodstream.
- Sent directly to your liver, where they are immediately converted into energy rather than being stored as fat.
- Efficiently converted into ketones, which are an excellent mitochondrial fuel and have a positive effect on your metabolism.
Why You Shouldn’t Settle for Anything but a Coconut Oil With the Highest Standard
There are many factors involved in producing coconut oil, such as the manufacturing process used to make the oil, the age and type of coconuts being used as well as other factors that impact the overall quality and effectiveness of the oil.
Meeting such high standards is no small feat, but you should not settle for anything less if you want to experience all the potential benefits of high-quality coconut oil.
Most commercial coconut oils are made from copra, the dried-up meat from coconuts. Oil extracted from cheaper copra-grade coconut may not be sanitary and is more susceptible to rancidity, meaning it may not be suitable for human consumption.
Coconut oil must not be refined or purified. In fact, this type of inferior coconut oil is called RBD – refined, bleached and deodorized.
Mass-producing coconut oil in this manner typically uses nutrient-removing heat, chemical solvents, bleaching agents and sometimes even hydrogenating processes, which can create trans fats.
The bottom line is not all coconut oils, including organic varieties, are created equal.
When creating Solspring® Biodynamic® Organic Coconut Oil, we went beyond organic, elevating coconut oil to an even higher level of quality.
Exclusively produced by coconut farmers using holistic, regenerative Biodynamic farming practices with a focus on sustainability, Solspring® Biodynamic® Coconut Oil sets the standard for raw, extra virgin coconut oil in eight distinct ways, as it is:
- Demeter Certified Biodynamic® and USDA Certified Organic.
- Made from fresh, raw coconuts that are opened within 48 hours of harvesting.
- Never produced from dried copra used in cheap oils.
- Cold-pressed to preserve nutrients while avoiding the use of heat or solvents.
- Produced without refining, bleaching, deodorization or hydrogenation processes.
- Made without soy, gluten or genetically engineered (GE) ingredients.
- Exclusively formulated for stability without the need for refrigeration.
- Expertly delivered by a Biodynamic partner with over 25 years of experience as an international leader in modern sustainable agriculture.
Because the fresh coconuts in Solspring® Biodynamic® Organic Coconut Oil are grown and processed biodynamically, no potentially harmful synthetic fertilizers, additives or chemical solvents are ever used.
How Biodynamic® Coconut Oil Takes Organic to the Next Level
While Certified Organic is a high-quality standard that helps you avoid harmful synthetic pesticides, fertilizers and genetically engineered ingredients (GEs), raw ingredients from crops may still lack important nutrients if the soil where they were grown lacks those nutrients.
The world’s oldest ecological certification, Demeter Certified Biodynamic® is the conscious, creative, holistic way of farming that elevates the organic standards on regenerative agriculture by using a soil-first approach.
It views the farm as a living organism that’s self-contained, self-sustaining and follows the cycles of nature to create a diverse and balanced ecosystem. This promotes the overall health of the crops and animals, from the worms and bees to the livestock, while returning life back to the soil for exceptional ingredients the way nature intended.
Striving for a higher standard, we worked exclusively with Demeter Certified Biodynamic® coconut farmers to offer you Biodynamic® Organic Coconut Oil, certified by the platinum standard for high-quality nutritious foods and raw ingredients.
Let’s take a closer look at how Demeter Certified Biodynamic® compares to the National Organic Program’s (NOP’s) Certified Organic standards:
|Allows imported organic fertilizers
||Reduces imported materials by utilizing nutrient-rich humus created within the farming system
|Allows imported organic pesticides
||Creation of biologically diverse habitat encourages balanced predator prey relationships
|Does not require the use of livestock
||Integrates livestock to improve soils
|Does not address the rotation of crops
||Promotes crop rotation and makes intensive use of cover crops (green manure) to add nutrients to the soil
|Organic feed for livestock can come from anywhere in the world
||50% of livestock feed must be grown on the farm
|No requirement for biodiversity
||10% of total farm acreage must be set aside for biodiversity
|Focused on crops and allows only one section of a farm to be certified
||Focused on farms and requires that the whole farm be certified
|Product certification focuses mainly on ingredients used
||Product certification uses 12 Biodynamic® processing standards so the agricultural ingredients used define the product
Add It to Your Favorite Foods for an Exceptional Culinary Experience
The delicate taste of Solspring® Biodynamic® Organic Coconut Oil is so delicious, you'll want to use it every time you cook or bake. To get you started, here are a few ideas for adding it to some popular foods:
- Whenever you fry, stir-fry, or sauté veggies, eggs, poultry, fish or whatever, use it for a deliciously light flavor.
- Add some to your favorite smoothies or juices for a burst of lauric acid.
- Use it on your salads for a tropical flair.
- Try it on popcorn instead of butter.
- Add it to your dog’s meal plan as a rich source of MCTs.
More Than Just a Cooking Oil and Flavor Enhancer
Solspring® Biodynamic® Organic Coconut Oil can also be used to enhance your personal care routine.
You can use it as a:
- Makeup remover – Apply a small amount on a moist organic cotton ball, and sweep across your face, avoiding your eye area.
- Facial scrub – Make a gentle facial scrub by mixing the coconut oil with baking soda or with oatmeal and a dash of cinnamon.
- Lip balm – Apply a small amount on your lips. You can also make your own lip balm using the coconut oil as a base ingredient.
Shaving cream – Apply a thin layer of it on the area to be shaved.
- Body scrub – Mix equal parts organic cane sugar and coconut oil in a glass jar, and then scrub on your dry skin before bathing.
- Moisturizer for your pet – Apply topically to nourish your dog’s skin and to add shine to her fur.
Solspring® Biodynamic® Organic Coconut Oil also makes a moisturizing lotion alternative that can truly hydrate and renew your skin.
Enjoy the Superior Quality and Taste of Biodynamic® Coconut Oil
With seemingly endless possibilities, it’s easy to see why coconut oil is so popular among people everywhere, and now, you can enjoy it in its highest quality.
With fantastic benefits as a cooking oil to a delicious flavor enhancer in smoothies and salads, to excellent personal care applications and more, Solspring® Biodynamic® Organic Coconut Oil is unsurpassed in quality and taste.
Experience the difference with Solspring®, and order yours today.