As far back as ancient Egypt and China, farmers have used pesticides and fertilizers to maximize the output and quality of their crops.
Around 4500 years ago in ancient Sumeria, farmers were dusting their crops with sulfur to keep the pests off.
And researchers believe that some farmers were using manure for fertilizer as long ago as 8000 years.
Plants grown in well-fertilized soil absorb more nutrients, producing fruits, grains and vegetables packed with the nutrients our bodies need to thrive. And of course, they produce more if they’re not eaten by insects.
So, smart farmers have always found ways to increase the fertility of their soils and protect their plants from munching insects.
And that’s a been a very good thing…
Up until the mid-20th Century, the fertilizers and pesticides farmers used were natural substances that supported ecological balance and the health of the soil.
But this changed drastically when synthetic fertilizers, pesticides, and herbicides came onto the scene. When chemical companies started marketing petroleum-based agriculture applications, large-scale industrial farming took off…
And the nutrient content of our foods plummeted.
Today, our soils have been so depleted you could eat the same menu as your great-grandmother, but end up getting less than half the nutrients she did.
How did this happen? And what can you do to protect your health from the dangers of nutrient deficiency?
Let’s take a look…
Industrial Farming and Soil Depletion – What Have They Done to Our Food’s Nutrients?
Our food supply has changed drastically over the years, and the quality of your food can only be as good as the soil in which it is grown.
Healthy soils contain an immense diversity of microorganisms. These organisms are responsible for a plant’s uptake of nutrients, which in turn provides you with nutrients.
When the widespread changes to farming happened in the 1940s and 1950s, they were expected to make production easier and more cost efficient for farmers. But they had a huge unintended consequence… a perilous nosedive in food nutrient values.
- First, the toxic synthetic chemicals used to kill pests and weeds also had lethal effects on beneficial soil microbes, such as bacteria, fungi and earthworms, crippling nature’s ability to provide the minerals needed for proper plant growth and nutrition.
Second, synthetic fertilizers depleted the soil. These highly processed fertilizers release nutrients quickly and add no benefits for soil structure, or the way soil holds together to produce things like water retention and air circulation.
This was a huge loss compared to organic fertilizers, such as manure and bone meal, which break down slowly and actively improve soil structure over time.
- Third, farmers shifted from the use of relatively small tractors and plows to the use of massive industrial machinery, further decimating the nutrient-creating microorganisms and soil structure.
As this shift was happening, the average U.S. farm size grew astronomically. In 1940, the average farm was around 200 acres. Today, most farms are over 1100 acres, and many are up to ten times that size.
When genetically modified (GMO) seeds and weed killer glyphosate were introduced, any minerals that were still left in the soil became hyper-chelated and unavailable to plants except for the patented GMO plants.
Conventional farming methods do not focus on the nutrient quality of food. Rather, modern agriculture concerns itself with growth rate, pest resistance and the physical traits of produce, like size.
Is it any wonder we have minimal significant nutrients left in conventionally-grown foods?
If you’re regularly eating organic food grown using regenerative, or Biodynamic®, farming methods, and including a large variety of fresh, raw produce and pastured meats and eggs, you may not need a multivitamin supplement.
However, if you’re not one of those lucky few, you may want to consider adding a multivitamin and mineral supplement to your family’s routine.
How to Choose a Multivitamin With Quality and Potency You Can Verify
According to John Hopkins Medicine, half of all American adults – including 70% of those age 65 and older – take a multivitamin or another vitamin or mineral supplement on a regular basis.
Unfortunately, not all multivitamins are created equal.
Pay close attention when you go to purchase yours, especially if you’re looking at grocery store or big box brands. Be sure you’re buying from a reputable manufacturer who utilizes high-quality sources, materials and production methods.
Here are the stringent criteria you can rely on to find a high-quality multivitamin and mineral supplement to best meet your specific needs. Make sure the multivitamin:
- Is produced by a reputable company with the highest quality control manufacturing practices in place.
- Goes beyond RDA (Recommended Daily Allowance) and DV (Daily Value) guidelines for certain vitamins and minerals – these are just minimums.
- Includes the added bonus of essential minerals that are absorbable – Many high-potency multivitamins lack important minerals, and chelated forms are among the best for optimal absorption.
- Contains a dosage high enough to provide adequate amounts – In other words, just one or two tablets a day are not likely to provide maximum benefits.
- If you’re a woman, includes special dosages and nutrients focused on women’s specific health needs.
When we first started our research for Whole-Food Multivitamin, we were absolutely shocked at the low quality standards of so many supplement companies. That's why we researched for months to identify the supplement producers who we believe are the very best in the U.S. today.
The labs we’ve chosen have very strong formulation experience, with Ph.D.-level formulators and strong manufacturing capabilities that consistently follow the dietary supplement GMPs.
Minerals Are Key to Health – Make Sure to Give Your Body What It Needs
Minerals are crucial for good health. Your body uses them for energy production, immune health and important functions, such as nervous system operation and healing damaged tissues.
Minerals are essential components of many proteins, and they help regulate your hormones and maintain healthy fluid balance and pH levels throughout your body.
Food mineral values are nowhere near what they once were.
In fact, in one study that compared vegetables grown in the U.K., researchers found that between 1940 and 1990, copper levels dropped by 76% and calcium fell by 46%. And conventional farming methods haven’t changed much since then.
So, in today’s world, taking a supplement with minerals can be an important strategy for making sure your body gets what it needs.
When it comes to supplementing with minerals, look for the superior chelated form. Chelated minerals are minerals that have been combined with amino acids or other molecules to make them easier for your body to absorb.
Our Whole-Food Multivitamin formulas include chelated forms of magnesium, zinc, selenium, manganese, copper, potassium, boron, chromium, molybdenum and vanadium, among others.
We also made sure to include key minerals that are often missing from other brands, or are supplied in dosages that are too low. These include:
- Calcium –Your skeletal system depends heavily on calcium, so we included plenty of this vital mineral.* Our formulas provide calcium in citrate, malate and ascorbate forms that are more absorbable than mined forms of calcium, such as calcium oxide or carbonate – forms that are commonly found in supplements.
Magnesium – Scientific studies have reported that magnesium is helpful in supporting your lungs and pulmonary system, as well as your entire body. As you age, you’re more likely to be deficient in this important mineral.
Magnesium works with calcium and vitamin D to promote bone density health.* It also helps maintain your muscular and nervous systems, a healthy heart and energy.* We’ve used magnesium chelate for its absorption potential, rather than the more common and more poorly absorbed magnesium oxide.
Potassium – This important mineral plays a key role in your metabolism and your body’s delicate balance of water and electrolytes. The regulation of your heartbeat, muscle function, healthy blood pressure and nerve impulses all depend upon sufficient levels of potassium.*
Potassium is another important component of your bone density health. As you age, bone density and strength become important elements in your overall health. Our formula uses a potassium chelate – a more absorbable form than the potassium chloride commonly used in supplements.
With the crucial role minerals play in your health, you want to make sure you always give your body what it needs.
High-Potency Antioxidants Provide Extra Free Radical-Fighting Power
Vitamins and minerals are remarkable players in your body’s health. Not only do they perform multiple essential roles, but they also perform “bonus” roles.
One of those is the role of antioxidant.
Antioxidants are substances that neutralize potentially harmful free radicals in your cells. Free radicals are unstable molecules that travel throughout your body, searching for electrons to steal from stable molecules.
They can radically alter how genes express themselves, damaging cell membranes and causing oxidative stress and inflammation. Antioxidants protect your cells by gobbling up free radicals and getting rid of them.
A truly outstanding multivitamin supplement contains vitamins and minerals with a broad range of antioxidant power.
Whole-Food Multivitamin provides you with that broad free radical-fighting power by delivering high-potency amounts of an exclusive antioxidant formula that includes:*
- Beta-carotene to support healthy vision and immune function.*
- Vitamin C to promote tissue growth and repair, and healthy gums.* Our formula contains different forms of the vitamin C minerals in order to maximize absorption.
- Vitamin D3 to support heart, bone, vascular and immune health.* Our formula supplies the preferred vitamin D3 form, which has been shown to be more effective at raising blood vitamin D levels than vitamin D2.
- Vitamin E to support your muscular system.* We include the naturally occurring form of alpha tocopherol along with other naturally occurring tocopherols.
- Selenium for immune function support.* The selenium in our formula is from an amino acid chelate complex.
- L-cysteine to help support your immune and respiratory systems.* Our formula uses the bioidentical form of L-cysteine.
- Lutein to promote healthy vision.* We use a lutein extract from marigold instead of the synthetic form.
- Lycopene for your immune health.* Our lycopene extract comes from tomatoes rather than synthetic production.
Researchers have found that at least several of these nutrients have declined over the years in our food supply, including vitamins A and C, and selenium.
Over 2,000 mg of Powerful Nutrients – Sourced from Real Vegetables, Fruits, Herbs and Green Foods
Food is always the best source of nutrients, so our multivitamin incorporates vitamins, minerals and polyphenols extracted from real food. In the few cases where it’s not possible to extract nutrients from foods, we use bioidentical nutrients.
Whole-Food Multivitamin includes more than 2,000 mg of nutrients extracted from vegetables, fruits, herbs and green foods. Examples of how some of these nutrients work together to promote your optimal health include:*
||Supported Body Systems*
|Grape Seed and Pine Bark Extract Blend (with proanthocyanidins)
||Urinary tract and immune
||Digestive and immune
||Prostate and immune
||Circulation and immune
||Nervous and tissue
||Cardiovascular and immune
||Immune and lungs
||Respiratory and digestive
||Circulatory and immune
||Vascular and immune
We've Included a Superior Form of Folic Acid to Help Ensure You Don't Get Cheated
Folic acid, or folate, is an important member of the B-vitamin family that plays many important roles in your body. Folic acid:
- Helps maintain normal blood homocysteine levels.*
- Helps nourish the brain and supports mood.*
- Supports protein metabolism.*
- Supports energy production.*
- Promotes normal formation and functioning of red and white blood cells.*
But for folic acid to perform all of these crucial duties in your body, it must first be activated into the biologically active form – L-5-MTHF. This is the form of folate that's:
- Preferred by your body.
- More reliably bioavailable and biologically active than folic acid.
- The only folate that can cross the blood-brain barrier to carry out important brain functions.*
Even though this form of folate provides distinct benefits, the one most commonly used in nutritional supplements is folic acid. And here's the problem: nearly half of the population has difficulty converting folic acid to the bioactive 5-MTHF form because of a genetic reduction in enzyme activity.
Because of its role in cardiovascular health, if you have a reduced ability to metabolize folic acid, you may have less-than-optimal cardiovascular health. Using the 5-MTHF form of folic acid may help.*
You'll find this more bioavailable, bioactive folate in Whole-Food Multivitamin, Whole-Food Multivitamin for Women and Chewable Multivitamin for Kids.
We combine all of these high-quality, bioavailable, high-potency nutrients to deliver an outstanding formula that truly nourishes.*
And if you value convenience, our Whole-Food Multivitamin Daily Packs make it easy to get the vitamins and minerals you need every day. Convenient for travel and daily use, Daily Packs provide:
- Individually wrapped packets side by side in a box for daily morning and evening dosing.
- Eco-friendly packaging made from biodegradable, compostable cellulose, which provides an excellent moisture barrier.
Whole-Food Multivitamin for Women – Specifically Tailored for a Woman’s Unique Needs
Whole-Food Multivitamin is packed with high-quality vitamins and minerals that benefit both men and women. But of course, women of all ages have unique nutritional needs.
So we added the following enhancements to Whole-Food Multivitamin for Women, including extra nutrients and a special antioxidant blend, to target those unique requirements:
Doubled the amount of folate. Certain groups of women may be at risk for insufficient folate intakes, especially women of childbearing age. Folate is also essential for healthy cell growth.*
Folate deficiencies in women are on the rise, and folate deficiencies can lead to elevated homocysteine levels, which can be a major contributing factor to heart disease.
Increased choline. This unique water-soluble nutrient is important for healthy liver function and absolutely essential for any woman of childbearing age, as it plays a key role in the development of the fetal brain and nervous system.*
Choline was only defined as an essential nutrient in 2017, and up to 90% of the U.S. population isn’t getting enough. Choline is mostly found in meats, which women tend to eat less of. It has been shown to have positive effects on the brain and mood.*
- Added a unique antioxidant blend of select botanicals for women’s health, including:
- Cranberry and D-mannose for vaginal and urinary tract health.*
- Red Clover for cardiovascular health, healthy normal hormone levels and PMS and menopause symptoms.*
- Shatavari Root Extract (Asparagus racemosus) for supporting reproductive health and already balanced hormones.*
- Grape Skin Extract, a potent antioxidant, for its heart and skin health benefits.*
- DIM (Diindoylymethane) for promoting healthy estrogen metabolism and breast health.*
- Evening Primrose Oil for promoting skin, hair and nail health as well as providing support for PMS symptoms.*
We also offer this expertly designed formula of high-potency nutrients in convenient daily packs, which give you the tablets already measured out in individual doses.
Whole-Food Multivitamin Daily Packs for Women make it even easier for you to get the vitamins and minerals you need daily. Convenient for travel and daily use, they provide the same handy features as our regular Daily Packs:
- Individually wrapped packets side by side in a box for daily morning and evening dosing.
- Eco-friendly packaging made from biodegradable, compostable cellulose, which provides an excellent moisture barrier.
Getting the Nutrient Balance Right to Achieve Synergistic Benefits
Certain amounts and types of nutrients need to be carefully measured to avoid potential toxic build-up in your body. And we’re the first to acknowledge that coming up with special high-potency multivitamin formulas can be challenging.
The bottom line is... not all nutrients in certain amounts work well together. In fact, a type of competition can occur between some nutrients.
Each ingredient in our Whole-Food Multivitamin formulas has been carefully evaluated and selected for its:
- Proper nutrient balance – Just like too little of a nutrient does not provide you any real benefits, too much can potentially do you more harm than good.
- Bioavailability – Your body can only use what it absorbs, so this feature is highly important for maximizing benefits and avoiding waste.
- Competitive relationship with other nutrients – A complex evaluation is performed by the scientists to make sure the amounts and types of nutrients work well together to benefit you.
- Allergenic potential – Careful selection and measurement of the nutrients took place to investigate potential allergy issues.
- Long-term safety – Some nutrients can accumulate and create toxic buildup in your body. We made sure to prevent this with the proper amounts, types and balance of nutrients.
- Proper use of the bioactive forms of vitamins and minerals – All nutrients are naturally occurring when possible or bioidentical to those found in nature.
- Non-GMO – None of the vitamins, minerals and nutrients included in our formulas are genetically modified (GMO).
- Truly adequate dosage – Don’t be fooled by multivitamin products that claim to require only one or two tablets per day. You will not be getting enough of the important vitamins and minerals your body needs.
Boost Your Child’s Nutrition with a Tasty Chewable Multivitamin Targeted for Children’s Unique Needs
Soil depletion and the nutrient deficits it causes affect everyone, but especially children.
Children have a high need for nutrition, as their bodies and minds are constantly growing. A child’s body generates new cells and makes countless important neural connections every day.*
If the nutritional foundation laid in childhood is flimsy, it can have consequences that last a lifetime.
The best thing you can do for your child’s nutrition is to feed him a balanced diet full of fresh whole foods. But just like adults, children face the problem of a nutrient-depleted food supply.
And as every parent knows, they also tend to be choosier about what they eat.
That’s why we spent over two years tweaking the taste and formula of our Chewable Multivitamin for Kids to offer a supplement that not only tastes good, but also provides the strong nutritional foundation children need while meeting our rigorous selection criteria.
Chewable Multivitamin for Kids...
- Delivers an absolutely delicious fruit flavor your kids will love – and with zero grams of sugar per serving.
- Avoids artificial colors, preservatives, flavorings, synthetic toxins and allergens potentially risky to your kids.
- Provides a complete nutritional balance of vitamins and minerals to help you manage your child’s unique needs.
- Provides high-quality minerals in a patented, chelated form to help maximize your child's absorption.*
- Contains Metafolin, a special patented form of 5-MTHF (folate) that is naturally preferred by your child’s body.
- Helps avoid risk of potential iron poisoning by leaving iron out of the formula.
- Benefits from the manufacturer's extensive commitment to high-quality measures and certifications.
- Is an exclusive formula only available at Mercola Market.
With Chewable Multivitamin for Kids, you can help your child build a strong, healthy body and mind to serve him well throughout his life.
Don’t Let Your Family Fall Victim to Today’s Widespread Nutrient Depletion – Help Promote Their Optimal Nutrition with Whole-Food Multivitamins
Ideally, you should be able to get all the nutrition you need from your diet. Hopefully, as regenerative organic farming methods spread, everyone will be able to do just that.
But until then, you have to be extra vigilant about supplying your body with the nutrients it needs for optimal health, and a whole-food multivitamin is an excellent strategy.
When shopping for a multivitamin with minerals, don't be fooled by the amounts of nutrients added to the formula. A super low cost (may be a red flag for poor quality and questionable nutrient sources) or Daily Value (DV) claims by the manufacturer.
This information can be misleading. For some vitamins and minerals, the daily values may be far too low for optimal health, making them little more than a waste of your time and money.
Think of Whole-Food Multivitamin, Whole-Food Multivitamin for Women and Chewable Multivitamin for Kids as part of your family’s healthy food budget, rather than as supplements.
We worked closely with the lab to design formulas to complement your family’s diets and round them out with nutrition that can be harder to get from conventionally-farmed food.
If you’re looking for more convenience with the same high-potency formulas, Whole-Food Multivitamin Daily Packs and Whole-Food Multivitamin Daily Packs for Women are a handy option.
Convenient for travel and daily use, Daily Packs provide individual packets in eco-friendly wrapping, side by side in a box for daily morning and evening dosing.
Make Whole-Food Multivitamins and Chewable Multivitamin for Kids part of your family’s daily routines to promote optimal health for every member of your family.* Order your supply today, and help guard your family’s health for years to come.