Many people have been led to believe that fish oil is their best option for getting the essential omega-3 fats DHA and EPA.
However, few realize that fish oil has many pitfalls. It tends to be contaminated with mercury and other toxic heavy metals. Plus, because it is low in antioxidants, fish oil is highly susceptible to spoilage and can go rancid quickly.
Rancid, or oxidized oil is one of your body’s worst enemies. It can ignite inflammation and put your organ and cellular health at risk, especially your brain and heart health.
I’m convinced there’s a much better way to get your omega-3 fats. Aside from eating wild Alaskan salmon every day, krill oil is a great way to get the essential omega-3 fats DHA and EPA. Krill oil comes from krill, tiny shrimp-like creatures that live in frigid Northern waters.
When you compare krill oil to fish oil, the differences are overwhelming. Studies suggest that krill oil, when compared to fish oil:
- Is as much as 48 times more effective, meaning you need less of it
- Is more absorbable since its omega-3 fats are attached to phospholipids for easy transport into your cells, including your brain cells
- Contains phosphatidylcholine which improves krill’s bioavailability and contributes choline which is important for brain development, learning and memory*
- Naturally contains astaxanthin, nature’s most potent antioxidant, to help maintain its stability and resistance to oxidation
- Isn’t prone to contamination from mercury and heavy metals like fish oil, because the krill feeds on phytoplankton instead of contaminated fish
- Is environmentally sustainable because krill makes up the largest biomass in the world – only 1 to 2 percent of the total krill biomass is harvested each year!
Unlike Fish Oil, Krill Oil Controls The ‘Switches’ to Your Vital Biochemical Processes
As you can see from the above impressive list, fish oil’s shortcomings are easily avoided with krill oil.
Krill oil solves the dilemma by containing both antioxidants and easily absorbed omega-3s. And because krill is only harvested from the pristine waters of Antarctica, they are largely free from pollution and contamination.
Most likely you know about the many health benefits of omega-3 fats. Krill oil offers them and more…
Here’s a recent finding about krill oil that you may not be aware of… Krill oil benefits your genetic expression and metabolism far more than fish oil does.*
Genes control nearly every biochemical process in your body, and any gene can be switched on or off.
Guess what controls these crucial ‘switches – or your gene expression’? Nutrients like the omega-3 fats DHA and EPA.
Test your omega-3 index at home with our convenient test kits that not only check omega-3 levels but also the levels of other essential vitamins and minerals:
Researchers recently compared the effects of krill oil and fish oil on gene expression in the livers of mice. When mice were fed the two different types of oil, only krill oil (and not fish oil) was shown to:
- Support glucose metabolism in the liver*
- Support already healthy lipid metabolism*
- Support mitochondrial energy production*
- Support already normal cholesterol synthesis*
- Help regulate the mitochondrial respiratory chain, thereby supporting overall mitochondrial health*
The Total Package, Krill Oil Contains Powerful Antioxidants AND Essential Omega-3 Oils
When I first learned about this pure marine oil, I was extremely impressed with the many benefits and the solid research behind its unique combination of antioxidants, omega-3 fats, and other nutrients.*
Krill oil contains naturally occurring astaxanthin and a flavonoid with a novel molecular structure. Flavonoids are powerful antioxidants, but, before now, they haven’t been found in anything except plants like vegetables, fruits, and algae.
Astaxanthin and this unique marine-source flavonoid create a special bond with EPA and DHA, allowing direct metabolism of the antioxidants.* Plus, unlike fish oils which can quickly go rancid, astaxanthin helps manage krill oil spoilage.*
Here’s a quick glance of just some of Krill oil’s many potential benefits:
- Supports a healthy heart*
- Helps maintain blood sugar levels already in the normal range*
- Supports healthy joints and overall joint comfort*
- Supports a healthy brain and nervous system function and development*
- Helps maintain cholesterol levels already in the normal range*
- Supports your immune system*
- Supports a healthy mood*
Krill’s Secret Weapon for Getting the Omega-3s Into Your Cells
Unlike fish oils, krill oil carries omega-3s in the form of phospholipids – little packages that deliver the fatty acids directly through your cell membranes and into your body's cells.
Scientific evidence shows that the safest and most effective carriers of EPA and DHA are these phospholipids. Unfortunately, standard fish oils lack this phospholipid complex. Instead, they only contain omega-3 fatty acids in the less-beneficial forms of ethyl esters or triglycerides.
Why are phospholipids so important? In a nutshell, they…
- Provide the building blocks for your cell membranes*
- Regulate cellular transport by functioning as “gate-keepers”*
- Help protect your cell membranes from free radicals*
This unique relationship between the phospholipids and omega-3 fatty acids greatly facilitates the passage of the fatty acid molecules through your intestinal wall.* This helps you in three ways:
- Makes the omega-3 fats in krill oil more bioavailable than those in fish oil*
- Allows EPA and DHA to directly enter your cells*
- Improves your omega-3 to omega-6 ratio*
Although some omega-6 fats are good for your health, the balance of omega-6s to omega-3s is crucial.* Unfortunately, most people consume an overabundance of omega-6 fats found in processed foods. The phospholipids in krill oil can help balance this ratio and provide you with more omega-3 fats.*
This krill oil phospholipid “secret weapon” just adds more solid support to why I strongly recommend krill oil – and especially my Krill Oil.
We’ve taken my Antarctic Krill Oil to the next level with a very special formulation…
An Additional Bonus… Organic Astaxanthin, the ‘King of the Carotenoid Antioxidants’
When it comes to antioxidants, it’s hard to beat astaxanthin for all it offers…
Astaxanthin is different from other antioxidants in that it can cross your blood-brain and blood-retinal barriers, and actually becomes part of your cell membranes. Plus it can reach just about every cell in your body and acts on at least five different inflammation pathways.
These unique features enable astaxanthin to offer you a full array of potential benefits, including:
- Supports your body’s already healthy normal inflammatory response*
- Helps protect all parts of your cells from free radical damage, including your heart cells’ mitochondrial membranes*
- Supports eye health and aids blurred vision, eyestrain, and tired eyes*
- Helps maintain a youthful appearance by affecting skin elasticity and skin wrinkling and DNA damage from sun exposure*
- Supports immune function*
- Protects your brain neurons and supports cognitive and psychomotor function*
- Supports comfort and flexible movement, especially after exercise*
Because astaxanthin helps protect your mitochondria’s membranes, it may be especially beneficial to the parts of your body that contain the most mitochondria, like your heart, brain, liver, and muscles.*
For Your Health, We Source the Finest Organic Astaxanthin
One of the best sources (if not the best) of naturally occurring astaxanthin is a very unique type of microalgae called Haematococcus pluvialis.
In fact, this is how sea creatures like salmon and krill get their brilliant red pigmentation – by eating this microalgae!
I can’t recommend just any astaxanthin. Over 95 percent of the astaxanthin on the market today is produced synthetically, much of it for feeding to farmed salmon. Petrochemical-derived astaxanthin is much less expensive than astaxanthin from H. pluvialis, but it’s absolutely unequal in value.
The H. pluvialis we source for our organic astaxanthin is grown in glass tubes connected with special hoses that don’t use plastics, like the PVC hoses other growers use. Flexible PVC contain phthalates – toxic chemicals and endocrine disruptors – that can leach into the astaxanthin oils.
Plus, our grower carefully controls what is fed to the astaxanthin-producing algae. All the nutrients are organic compliant and only those allowed by the National Organic Program to meet USDA organic certifications.
The whole growing process is audited to the USDA National Organic Program. Third party auditors check all nutrients used and audit the complete process on a yearly basis so you can be assured you receive nothing but Certified Organic astaxanthin.
As you know, krill oil naturally contains astaxanthin. To ensure you receive a healthy serving of astaxanthin with every capsule of krill oil, we’ve added 2 mg of organic astaxanthin from microalgae.
This combination of krill oil and extra astaxanthin provides all the additional benefits I’ve been discussing making our product truly unique.
Our Commitment to Quality and Species Sustainability
You can’t be too careful when shopping for Krill Oil. Unfortunately, there are cheap imitations and low-quality imposters. And quite often manufacturers take shortcuts at the expense of the environment and the krill themselves.
Harvesting krill in a commercially viable and environmentally sound way can be challenging. These are examples of some of the issues:
- Traditional trawling methods where the krill is hauled up on deck and emptied into holding tanks before processing is unsustainable
- Krill contains highly digestive enzymes and basically self-destruct before they can be processed
- Regular trawling can bring in unwanted by-catch (fish, seals, etc.) potentially posing a threat to fragile marine eco-systems in the Antarctic
And, unfortunately these issues aren’t limited to just one or two fisheries…
A recent sustainability report of 24 fisheries by NGO Sustainable Fisheries Partnership (SFP) found one third or 3.5 million tons of fish stocks destined for fish oil supplements are “poorly managed.”
I find this alarming… Simply, these types of shortcut practices aren’t acceptable to us, and I’m sure not to you, either. Fortunately, we found a supplier that takes a whole different approach…
The ONLY Fishery to Receive an ‘A’ for Sustainability
The 24 fisheries in SFP’s recent report received one of four ratings for sustainability: A, B1, B2, or C.
- 12 of the 24 fisheries received “C” ratings (and one was shut down)
- 11 received B1 or B2 ratings
- Only ONE fishery received an “A” rating – and it was ours!
I’m proud to announce that the fishery that supplies the krill for our Mercola Krill Oil was awarded the only “A” rating for sustainability and management strategy.
In addition to taking the appropriate environmental steps to protect the krill species, the patent-pending technology that this fishery uses helps make the difference:
- Uses a direct hose connection mechanism to help ensure unwanted by-catch are singled out and released unharmed during harvesting
- Keeps the krill live and fresh by bringing them directly into the harvesting vessel using a continuous flow of water
The bottom line with this type of specialized harvesting is it not only helps ensure high-quality krill goes into Krill Oil, it minimizes environmental impacts and helps ensure the sustainability of Antarctic krill and other marine species.
Plus, we support The Commission for the Conservation of Antarctic Marine Living Resources (CCAMLR). CCAMLR was established in 1982 with the objectives of conserving Antarctic marine life. To further support CCAMLR, vessels typically have a part-time observer on board to scrutinize harvesting limits.
With our Krill Oil, there is an independent observer on board 24/7 who reports back to CCAMLR on a daily basis. Talk about going the extra mile to ensure sustainability and environmental protection…
And yet, our manufacturer takes this one step further during the sea to shelf process that few (if any) others do…
Traceability – A Rare Find in Krill Harvesting
We have adopted The Marine Stewardship Council’s (MSC) “boat to plate” mentality and adhere to MSC’s Chain of Custody standard.
With MSC certification, every company that handles the product (from harvesting to encapsulation):
- Has been independently audited to make sure the MSC eco-label is only used on certified sustainable products
- Stores MSC-certified items separately
- Keeps effective records of MSC-certified products
So, there’s a big-time quality element involved in this “boat to plate” certification. And to me, the traceability of all this is an often overlooked element. Traceability of Krill Oil:
- Ensures that the krill are sourced from a MSC-certified fishery
- Protects buyers (like you) and fisheries from fraudulent labeling
- Avoids risk of fisheries carrying products from illegal, unregulated, and unreported fishing
The fishery supplying our krill oil was the first krill harvesting company to gain MSC certification – and still remains one of the only two to be certified.
In essence, we provide 100 percent traceability of the krill from sea to shelf in a controlled value chain: from harvesting… to processing… to logistics... to final processing… to product specs… to internal and external audits.
That means we’re able to trace all krill back to the exact location of harvest (through GPS systems aboard each vessel). Each bottle is traceable back to the Antarctic location where the krill was actually harvested.
I think you’ll agree there is little debate that my Krill Oil is a product you can trust…
For Your Protection, My Antarctic Krill Oil Is Consistently Tested for Purity
Our Antarctic krill source meets the strictest quality standards when it comes to contaminants. In fact, regular testing is performed to ensure our krill oil meets extremely demanding specifications for a broad range of potential contaminants.
As mentioned earlier, heavy metals are always a concern when it comes to seafood products. Fish and seafood have the potential to contain high levels of heavy metals such as lead, mercury and copper. We test our krill for these and an array of other metals. The levels found in our krill oil are so low they even test well below California’s Prop 65 limits, which are much more stringent than federal guidelines.
Most of our major water ways are contaminated with hormone disrupting chemicals such as dioxins and PCBs. Because our krill is harvested in the pristine Antarctic waters, this concern is virtually eliminated. The levels of these chemicals found in our krill oil are nearly undetectable compared to the limits set forth by the World Health Organization.
PAHs or polycyclic aromatic hydrocarbons are carcinogenic compounds that are found in cigarettes and also in crude oil. With the prevalence of offshore oil drilling across the globe, it is important to ensure the seafood you are consuming has not been contaminated by oil spills. Our krill oil is also tested for 8 different PAHs commonly found in crude oil.
Consistent monitoring to guarantee our krill oil is meeting the strictest guidelines further ensures its purity. As you can see, with my Pure Antarctic Krill Oil, you can rest assured you are receiving a clean, tested product.
Extraordinary Encapsulation System Creates an Airtight Nitrogen ‘Freshness Bubble’ to Help Prevent Leakage and Spoilage
Without a superior delivery and encapsulation system, all the innovation and technology that goes into producing my Antarctic Krill Oil could be a waste. I mean, what good would it be if leakage or air-intrusion problems with the protective capsule were an issue?
I made absolute sure this was not an issue.
Krill Oil is provided in a hard capsule instead of a softgel, or other type of capsule technology. Our hard capsules use innovative “Fusion Technology” to seal the 2-piece capsule.
This extraordinary liquid capsule technology can provide many beneficial advantages over others, because it:
- Reduces oxidation potential by flushing the liquid formulation with nitrogen during the capsule-filling process – Creating a “freshness bubble’
- Ensures 2-piece capsules are hermetically sealed to significantly reduce the potential for leakage – Yields a precisely tight, one-piece capsule
- Enhances shelf-life through exemplary filling and sealing processes
Plus, since the capsules are so tightly sealed, you won’t even smell the krill oil.* And we even have testing results to prove it…
Mercola Antarctic Krill Oil Isn’t Fishy-Smelling Like Other Brands – This ‘Sniff Test’ Proves It!
If you’ve ever opened a bottle of fish oil or krill oil, you’ve likely noticed a strong, repulsive fishy smell.
Thanks to the advanced capsule technology we use, you don’t have to worry about unpleasant odors with my Antarctic Krill Oil,
Don’t just take my word for it… Watch this video below as we ask people to take a blind ‘sniff test’ and give us their reactions to the leading omega-3 supplements compared to my Antarctic Krill Oil.
Take Control of Your Health™ With Omega-3s and Antioxidants – Order My Antarctic Krill Oil Today
Now that you know Antarctic Krill Oil doesn’t have the fishy smell (and therefore aftertaste or burps) that other brands do, I’m sure you are more eager than ever to try it.
After all, isn’t it time you took charge of increasing your intake of health-supporting omega-3 fats and crucial antioxidants?*
My Antarctic Krill Oil stands out from all the others because it is:
- MSC-certified to reassure you we harvest krill according to strict sustainability standards…
- Produced using extraordinary efficient Eco-Harvesting technology that supports sustainability of Antarctic krill and marine species
- Delivered by a protective encapsulation system second to none so you can be assured of freshness and little-to-no smell
- Now contains two mg of Organic Astaxanthin per serving
Krill Oil is one of the smartest ways I know of to increase your intake of the essential omega-3 fats DHA and EPA and antioxidants like Astaxanthin without risking exposure to mercury and other heavy metals, and hormone-disrupting plasticizers.*
Order my Antartic Krill Oil today!