KetoFast Detox Essentials: The Gentle, Gradual Approach to Fasting and Ketosis for a Trim, Healthy Body
I believe most people need a gradual approach to fasting... one in which you thoughtfully change your eating habits and acclimate yourself gently to the state of ketosis, or being able to burn fat for fuel.
That’s exactly why I created KetoFasting.
By taking the gradual, deliberate approach outlined in my book KetoFast, you can...
- Prime your detoxification systems and help correct existing deficiencies.
- Choose the best nutrient-dense food and supplements to facilitate your body’s ability to carry harmful substances out of your body.
- Radically reduce harmful and unpleasant side effects from fasting.
- Help avoid the dumping of toxins from your bloodstream into your tissues and organs.
- Support your weight-loss efforts with minimal feelings of hunger and deprivation.
- Slowly but surely become metabolically flexible so you can burn fat for fuel.
KetoFast is a five-step guide to help you manage your weight and rejuvenate your health to help prevent and even reverse disease markers. With my 30-day plan, you’ll see inches melt away and crucial disease markers improve.
Whether you’re dealing with an illness that’s threatening your well-being or just want to look and feel better, KetoFast can help you get on the right path...
Why Dieting and Water-Only Fasting Can Flood Your Tissues and Organs with Unwanted Toxins
When you fast or diet and your body begins to burn fat stores, fat-soluble toxins and chemicals that have been safely tucked away get released. These can include:
- Toxic chemicals like herbicides and pesticides (including probable carcinogen glyphosate, the active ingredient in the world’s most widely used pesticide Roundup).
- Heavy metals such as arsenic, cadmium and lead.
- Artificial sweeteners such as sucralose.
- Industrial chemical products or by-products like flame retardants, plasticizers such as BPA and phthalates, and PFOA from non-stick coatings.
These mobilized toxins end up in your blood and other tissues and organs. When this happens, these toxic substances can adversely affect your metabolism and contribute to the side effects many experience from water fasting and following a keto diet, like headaches, brain fog and nausea.
Stored heavy metals are also associated with heart risks. When you remove them, you reduce your risk, but how you remove them matters.
Your liver is your primary detox organ, so it does its work by converting fat-soluble toxins to water-soluble toxins that can then be eliminated through your skin, gut and kidneys via sweat, feces or urine.
Unfortunately, this is true only if all your organs of filtration and detoxification processes are working well.
How KetoFasting and Eating the Right Foods Can Help Your Body Remove Toxins Safely and Effectively
What if your detoxification processes aren’t working as effectively as they should?
We live in a toxic world surrounded by chemicals, heavy metals and toxic by-products, so chances are your detoxification capacity is already on overload. When your organs of filtration become overwhelmed, toxins can escape from your bloodstream and dump into your tissues and organs – something you want to avoid at all costs.
A recent study found that it doesn’t take much to harm your organs either... Small amounts of chemicals from food, pharmaceuticals and personal care products can combine in your body and lead to liver damage.
By taking a gentle and gradual approach to fasting like KetoFasting, you can help avoid the dumping of toxins from your blood into your tissues and organs that can occur with other fasting programs.
Here’s a little secret about detoxification programs... The long-term primary benefits you gain are strongly influenced by the food you eat when you’re not fasting. Consuming the right types and amounts of food can actually determine how effectively your body can detox itself.
That’s where my book, KetoFast Cookbook can be a tremendous tool in helping you maximize your benefits.
There’s something else that’s vitally important... To ensure your body’s cleansing filters and elimination channels are working properly, you must support your kidneys, liver and GI tract.
The right supplements can even aid your body’s normal detoxification process and help minimize damaging effects from released toxins.
That’s why I recommend the following supplements, in addition to consuming the appropriate foods, to ensure your elimination channels are functioning at peak performance.
Chlorella: A Detox Program Is Only As Good As Its Binders to Carry the Toxins Out of Your Body
As you now know, dieting and fasting release toxins into your bloodstream that were previously safely stored in your fat.
If your detoxification processes are not in ideal working order, you can reabsorb these freed toxins and chemicals in places where they can do considerable damage.
Effective binders like Fermented Chlorella are essential for attaching to and removing released toxins and metals.* When taken on an empty stomach away from food, chlorella can be a trusted tool of defense against reabsorbing released toxins.*
Chlorella is particularly valuable for its ability to bind with metals like mercury. Ninety percent of the mercury in your body is eliminated through your stool, so when you take a dose of chlorella, it coats your intestine and soaks up any released mercury like a sponge.
Of course, drinking plenty of clean, fresh water will also help flush trapped toxins out of your body.
Our Fermented Chlorella provides a highly bioavailable form of chlorella courtesy of unique cultivating and drying methods. It’s created without any synthetic ingredients using an indoor cultivation process which ensures a high-quality chlorella, free of environmental contaminants and pollutants.
Methyl Folate: A Must for Helping Your Body and Brain Remove Glyphosate and Heavy Metals, This Little-Known Form Helps Kick Your Detox Plan Into Gear
Folate plays a valuable role in helping your body eliminate toxins, unlike the cheaper synthetic form of folate, folic acid, because of how it is metabolized in your body.*
This special type of B vitamin kick-starts a crucial process in your body called methylation, a cycle essential for the proper removal of heavy metals and chemicals like glyphosate.
However, to initiate the clearing of toxins, folate must be in the reduced and methylated 5-MTHF form. This unique form is much easier on your liver and doesn’t deplete its supply of glutathione needed for your body’s cleansing processes.
Always make sure the supplement label says L-methylfolate or 5-MTHF. You want the biologically active form and not the biologically inactive forms that include D-methylfolate and 6(R)-methylfolate.
Our Methyl Folate is what’s known as a “fourth generation” 5-MTHF in that it offers enhanced bioavailability to:
- Help your tissues and cells break down and remove unwanted substances such as glyphosate, heavy metals and potentially harmful chemicals.*
- Provide your cells and tissues with the proper and bioavailable form of folate for healthy cell growth and division.*
- Assist your body with proper methylation and reduces the load on your liver to help preserve its supply of methyl and glutathione.
By taking Methyl Folate regularly, you support your body’s ability to cleanse itself, and at the same time, help protect your cells’ genetic material.
MSM Sulfur: Difficult to Receive From Diet Alone, This is Essential for Your Detoxification Processes
Sulfur plays important roles in hundreds of physiological processes, including your detoxification and metabolic processes.
A healthy metabolism relies on biologically active enzymes, so if you don’t have enough sulfur in your body, your enzymes can’t function properly. Too little sulfur can lead to metabolic challenges and hinder your body’s ability to produce glutathione, which is required for the removal of heavy metals and toxins.
You need appropriate levels of sulfur in your body to ensure optimal detoxification, but it’s become a challenge to get enough from diet. Some of the richest sources are foods we don’t eat often, like bone broth.
Thiry-four percent of sulfur by weight, Methylsulfonylmethane, or MSM is a naturally occurring sulfur compound found in all vertebrates. When you don’t have enough MSM in your body, your cells become hard and stiff, which keeps them from disposing of damaging free radicals and foreign particles.
Our MSM Sulfur Complex contains MSM and additional compounds including:
- N-Acetyl Cysteine (NAC) to help boost production of glutathione, a powerful antioxidant that plays a role in supporting your liver and the detoxification of heavy metals and other harmful substances.*
- R-Alpha Lipoic Acid to help optimize the metabolic biochemistry needed for the effective detoxification of heavy metals, especially mercury.*
- Dr. Mercola’s Sulfur Blend from organic whole-plant broccoli, garlic, green cabbage and kale, all excellent sources of Indole-3-carbinol (I3C), a potent phytochemical which converts into diindolylmethane (DIM) to support your liver’s detoxification processes and the reproduction of normal, healthy cells.*
Liver Support: Containing Botanicals Used for Thousands of Years, This Aides Your Liver’s Cleansing Processes
Your liver’s primary role is to protect your body from potentially harmful substances. Because it encounters such an abundance of toxins each day, it sometimes needs special nutritional support.
Our Liver Support contains three ingredients to support healthy liver function and detoxification:*
- N-Acetyl L-Cysteine (NAC), a glutathione precursor
- Milk Thistle
- Organic Broccoli Sprouts
This unique formula is designed to:
- Provide on-going support to help minimize the damaging effects of contaminants on your liver.*
- Help restore intracellular levels of glutathione.*
- Provide antioxidant mitochondria support.*
- Support your body’s normal detoxification process.*
- Provide short-term support for occasional acute events*
Taken on a regular basis, Liver Support may help minimize the negative effects of environmental pollutants and stressors that you encounter every day as well as the side effects from fasting.*
Zinc Plus Selenium: Bioavailable and Balanced to Help Your Body Detoxify Cadmium, Arsenic, Mercury and More*
When you are mineral deficient, heavy metals can take up residence where the minerals normally belong. Zinc and selenium are two of the most important minerals needed to support your detoxification processes.
Zinc is an essential mineral for what’s known as phase-one detoxification, the first of your liver’s two phases of detoxification. During phase one, zinc assists in the process where your liver uses oxygen and enzymes to make toxins water-soluble. Zinc helps push out cadmium, a toxic metal that’s particularly harmful to cells and arteries.
Many people are deficient in selenium, a mineral needed for making glutathione, which is a master antioxidant that’s made by your liver and is important for the removal of heavy metals from your body. Selenium also helps your body detoxify arsenic, cadmium, beryllium, mercury and silver.
Our Zinc Plus Selenium provides both minerals, along with a small amount of copper, an important micronutrient, to aid your body’s detoxification processes.
We use the full-protein form of selenium compared with a single amino acid form like selenomethionine, which is commonly found in selenium supplements and in multivitamins.
Made from standardized selenium-enriched, fermented yeast (contains no unhealthy active yeast), it accumulates and incorporates selenium right into the protein structure. This helps to significantly reduce the biomarkers for oxidative stress in your body.*
Vitamin B Complex: The Vitamin Family Your Liver Can’t Live Without
The family of B vitamins plays an important role in detoxification. Along with milk thistle, vitamins B1, B2 and B6 provide valuable liver detox support. Vitamin B6 supports your lymphatic system, which is responsible for removing toxins from your cells and blood.
B vitamins also support your body’s detoxification processes associated with polluted air. Now a major worldwide problem, the World Health Organization (WHO) estimates that 92 percent of the population breathes polluted air.
Exposure to high levels of very fine particulate matter or particles with a diameter of 2.5 microns or less, known as PM2.5, can trigger mutations in genes and interfere with how they work in your body. These particles can also damage your brain cells, immune T helper cells and may cause serious damage to your lungs and other organs.
An international research team recently studied the effects of B vitamin supplementation on healthy, non-smoking subjects exposed to a “hazardous level” of PM2.5 in downtown Toronto. They found that taking high levels of supplemental B vitamins – specifically vitamins B6, B9 and B12 – for four weeks:
- Reduced genetic damage in 10 gene locations by 28 to 76 percent.*
- Protected mitochondrial DNA from the harmful effects of pollution.*
- Helped repair some of the genetic damage.*
Our Vitamin B Complex is a complete complex that:
- Has the B vitamins organically bound to the plant for food-based benefits.
- Contains the eight familiar B vitamins and a multitude of well-balanced and biologically active B vitamins complete with co-factors and coenzymes.
- May be better absorbed in your body than regular isolated synthetic B vitamins.*
Plus, our formula contains a special, yet little-known, form of vitamin B1, or thiamin, called benfotiamine. Because benfotiamine passes through cell membranes so easily, its enhanced bioavailability and bioactivity potential help protect cells, tissues and organs.*
Unlike other vitamin B supplements, Vitamin B Complex is food based. Research shows food-based nutrients, especially the active form of vitamin B6, play a key role in enhancing your body’s synthesis of glutathione and supporting your metabolic detoxification pathways.
MITOMIX® KETO Seed Blend: Designed to Complement a Ketogenic Diet and Doubles as Your Go-To Crunchy Snack
Designed to complement a ketogenic diet and an essential part of KetoFasting, our Organic MITOMIX® KETO Seed Blend contains a specific balance of organic seeds and psyllium to provide plant omega-3 fats, lignans and fiber. It includes:
- Flax Seeds – The richest dietary source of lignan precursors (plant compounds that act like antioxidants) and contain abundant amounts of the plant-based omega-3 alpha-linolenic acid (ALA).
- Whole Husk Psyllium – With a plentiful supply of soluble fiber, it acts as a prebiotic to help nourish your beneficial gut bacteria, supporting digestion, the absorption of nutrients and immune function. Psyllium is an essential binder for released toxins.
- Hulled Hemp Seeds – A rich source of Gamma-linolenic acid (GLA), important building blocks for your body, plus plentiful fiber to help you feel more satisfied after a meal and an ideal omega-3 to omega-6 fat balance.
- Chia Seeds – Contains 35 percent fiber, plus the second highest concentration of ALA to help build your cells’ mitochondrial membranes.
- Black Sesame Seeds – Have the highest oil content of any seed, plentiful lignans and a great source of magnesium.
- Black Cumin Seeds – Contains thymoquinone, a powerful antioxidant that penetrates cell membranes and accumulates in the mitochondria to scavenge destructive reactive oxygen species (ROS) and free radicals.
This organic crunchy blend with a slight nutty flavor can be eaten by itself, mixed into a smoothie, or sprinkled over yogurt, salads and cereals. Use as is or blend in a coffee grinder to a smooth consistency.