For thousands of years, cooks and health practitioners alike have revered garlic’s pungent taste and tremendous potential for well-being.
Scholars have written about garlic since the beginning of recorded history. Cloves of garlic were found in ancient Greek temples and Egyptian pyramids, including King Tutankhamen’s tomb.
In early days, garlic was used across cultures for:
- Maintaining and increasing strength to help laborers and slaves work harder.
- Enhancing performance for Greek and Roman athletes.
- Supplying strength and courage for soldiers and sailors.
- Preserving food and supplementing diets.
- Supporting digestion and other body functions.
One of the most striking features about the early use of garlic was its widespread popularity. Garlic was and continues to be valued in many different cultures.
Over 250 million pounds of garlic are consumed annually in the U.S. in multiple forms. Add to that the plentiful consumption in countries where it was first used, such as the Middle Eastern and Mediterranean countries, as well as India and China.
Black Garlic: A Relatively New Arrival in the West, yet Used for Centuries in the East
One particular form of garlic has aroused a bit of interest lately, and that’s black garlic.
Thought to have originated in China, Japan or Korea centuries ago, black garlic has been rediscovered in recent years for its culinary and health benefits.
So what exactly is black garlic?
Black garlic is simply regular garlic that’s been aged in a carefully controlled, heated environment. This aging process changes the garlic from white and sharp tasting to black and sweet.
The Maillard reaction, which is a chemical reaction between amino acids and reducing sugars, is responsible for garlic’s browning.
When made according to tradition, the slow fermentation process creates whole new flavor compounds.
Black garlic is described as sweet and savory and even with hints of seared meat and onions, tamarind and balsamic vinegar.
In 2008, the culinary world discovered black garlic. Chefs found they could use it in entrees, sides, salads, appetizers and even desserts to create exciting new dishes.
Made Specially for Us: Creamy and Spreadable Organic Fermented “Black Gold” Puree
Our Organic Fermented Black Garlic Puree is made specially for us through a unique eco-friendly fermentation system that converts freshly grown organic garlic into a creamy and spreadable “black gold” puree.
The company that makes our black garlic puree has more than 50 years of experience in the food industry. Their specialty is fermented foods.
Using a very special process, they start with fresh organic garlic and put it through a high-heat, long-duration fermentation process that breaks down the naturally occurring carbohydrates into simple sugars.
After fermentation, the garlic is aged in their whole bulbs for at least 120 days. This allows the garlic to deepen in flavor and sweetness and darken in color. When finished, black garlic has a delicious sweet and savory flavor and chewy texture.
Several factors make our Organic Fermented Black Garlic Puree stand apart from other black garlic pastes and purees:
- It’s made only from the freshest organic garlic available.
- It’s crafted in true artisan style.
- It’s slowly fermented to perfection.
Our small-batch manufacturer monitors the garlic’s appearance, scent and flavor throughout the process to ensure the best tasting product.
The slow fermentation process used by our manufacturer only adds to garlic’s healthful benefits. The finished product’s ORAC, or oxygen radical absorption capacity value (used to compare antioxidants), grows to double that of fresh garlic. Levels of S-allylcysteine, which are already high in garlic, increase even further.
The end product, our Organic Fermented Black Garlic Puree is creamy smooth and has exceptional sweetness with date, balsamic and slight garlic undertones.
So How Does Our Organic Fermented Black Garlic Puree Compare to Raw Garlic?
Clinical studies are limited on the benefits of black garlic, but we do know some of the changes that occur in the fresh garlic when it undergoes the slow, controlled fermentation process.
When you crush fresh raw garlic, you create a pungent and potent antioxidant called allicin. However, allicin has a very short active life (usually less than an hour) and exposure to heat causes it to break down into other compounds.
While the fermentation process destroys the allicin, you end up with an even more potent antioxidant.
S-allyl-cysteine, or SAC is likely the most important antioxidant compound created during fermentation. Compared to allicin, SAC:
- Is better absorbed.
- Has greater stability.
- Provides enhanced antioxidant effects.
Our Organic Fermented Black Garlic Puree contains several other important active components, too:
- Highly beneficial water-soluble sulfur compounds, including SAC and S-allylmercaptocysteine (SAMC) (two of the most valuable active components with a wide range of potential health benefits)
- Lipid-soluble sulfur compounds, including diallyl sulfide, triallyl sulfide, diallyl disulfide and diallyl polysulfide
- Antioxidants (at least twice the antioxidants found in fresh raw garlic)
How to Use Our Organic Fermented Black Garlic Puree
How can you use Organic Fermented Black Garlic Puree?
Even though it’s garlic, black garlic is used differently in cuisine. You add regular garlic to a dish for its pungent garlicky flavor. You use black garlic for its subtle savory flavors.
Black garlic has a very mild garlic taste. When added to a dish, it imparts sweetness and a hint of various flavors: molasses, chocolate, balsamic and dates.
The flavor of black garlic is most notable when it’s stirred into mild-flavored foods like cream-based soups and sauces and mayonnaise.
Taking cues from renowned chefs around the world, you can use it in appetizers, entrees, sides, salads and desserts, or simply spread it on bread.
Here are some of our favorite ideas:
- Add it to salad dressings and mild sauces for a sweet, flavorful boost.
- Enjoy it straight from the jar with crackers or sourdough bread.
- Mix with balsamic vinegar and tamari for a full-flavored stir fry sauce.
- Add to chutneys, salsas and dips.
- Combine with olive oil and spread on a flatbread pizza crust, add sliced mushrooms and onions, a light sprinkling of tarragon and freshly shaved parmesan.
- Rub onto chicken wings before baking.
- Sauté with fresh asparagus along with butter, olive oil and a light sprinkling of Himalayan salt and black pepper.
- Spread on toast along with mayonnaise to create your own signature bacon, lettuce and tomato (BLT) sandwich.
- Combine with olive oil, Himalayan salt, fresh rosemary and cauliflower florets, and roast in a hot oven until tender.
- Add to deviled eggs with mustard and sweet pickle relish.
- Mix with tamari, olive oil and lemon zest to make a glaze for salmon.
- Stir a small amount into seafood pasta to enhance delicate flavors.
- Add to an omelet with fresh spinach, green onion, diced tomatoes and your favorite cheese.
- Fold into twice-baked stuffed potatoes and top with bacon and cheddar cheese.
- Combine with grass fed beef in a savory slow-cooked stew.
- Stir into maple syrup or honey, and drizzle over ice cream.
- Add to a chocolate chip cookie recipe for a next twist on a classic favorite.
Keep in mind, black garlic’s flavor “grows” with time. Try adding it to foods like potato salad or sandwich fillings the day before you plan to serve them to fully appreciate black garlic’s delicate flavors.
Order Our Organic Fermented Black Garlic Puree Today, and Let Your Culinary Genius Shine
As you just saw, the list of ways to use our Organic Fermented Black Garlic Puree is nearly endless. The only thing limiting you is your imagination!
Our Organic Fermented Black Garlic Puree comes packed in a generous 7 oz. glass jar. When used by the teaspoon, you get 33 servings per jar – plenty to experiment with your favorite recipes and all the new ones you’ll discover.
Best of all, there’s less than 2 grams of carbohydrates in each serving. There are no added sugars, zero fat and only 10 calories per serving. So even if you’re on the strictest of diets, a spoonful of Organic Fermented Black Garlic Puree won’t set you back...
Why not order a jar today and see what magic you can create?