Although colloidal silver has been revered and used for thousands of years, it still remains one of the most misunderstood substances of all times.
While a few of its critics may call colloidal silver “snake oil,” many of its supporters consider it an essential part of their first-aid kits and swear by it as their go-to solution for supporting overall health.
Throughout the years, silver has played important roles in health and everyday life.
Some of the earlier beliefs that have surrounded this ‘mystery’ substance include the following:
- According to European folk medicine, wearing silver rings could help promote good health.
- Early civilizations stored water, wine and vinegar in silver bottles to prevent spoilage.
- The saying, “born with a silver spoon in their mouths” dates back to the Middle Ages when wealthy godparents gifted babies silver spoons at their christenings.
Colloidal silver was first discovered in the 1890s. In the early 1900s, physicians favored its use for supporting immune function and natural healing processes in patients.* Traditional uses also included support for digestive and gastrointestinal health and respiratory support.*
Widely used during WWI, it’s usage faded away with the advent of antibiotics.
What Is Colloidal Silver, and How Does It Differ From Other Types of Silver?
Several different types of silver are available as dietary supplements. They include:
- Colloidal Silver is a liquid solution or suspension that contains silver particles plus silver ions.
- Ionic Silver is a solution that contains silver ions but not necessarily silver particles. In higher concentrations, it can be toxic.
- Silver Protein is considered a drug by the FDA. It’s a silver compound – typically either ionic or colloidal silver – with a protein added to help keep the silver in solution. Its particle size varies.
- Silver Hydrosol is the most refined and bio-active of all the colloidal silver forms and has extremely low toxicity. Its ideal concentration is 10 ppm.
Sometimes products are marketed as “true colloidal silver.” Because it isn’t scientifically different from other colloidal silver products, this name can be a misleading marketing term. In theory, true colloidal silver would be a solution of 100% particulates, and without proteins or chemicals added, the solution wouldn’t be stable.
Ionic silver isn’t actually colloidal silver because it does not contain silver particles.
Many colloidal silver products are ionic silver and not higher quality colloidal silver. Ionic silver requires a low degree of production complexity and tends to cost less.
Particles are important in a silver solution because they act as a reservoir for later release of ions. Size matters, too... Ideally, silver solutions should contain at least half of their silver in very small form for optimal bioavailability.
In contrast, large particles can’t be converted into a bioactive form fast enough for the body to benefit optimally.
Something else to consider when evaluating colloidal silver products... Silver products can be contaminated by salts, proteins, stabilizers and oxidation.
Breaking Down the Myths About Colloidal Silver
There are several misconceptions out there about colloidal silver. And these myths can lead to confusion when it comes to choosing a high-quality silver supplement.
Here are what we consider the top five myths about colloidal silver:
- Myth #1: The higher the ppm (parts per million), the more effective the product – What makes a high-quality silver formula is not its ppm but rather its particle charge and purity.
- Myth #2: Colloidal silver formulas should not be clear – Pure silver colloids should be clear to a pale hue. Darker colored colloidal silver is a sign of larger silver particle size or contaminates (salts or proteins), thus a lower bioactivity or effectiveness. Colloidal silver should be clear.
- Myth #3: Elemental (neutral) particles of silver (Ag) are more active than positively charged silver particles (Ag+) – Some manufacturers claim elemental or neutral silver particles (Ag), are responsible for colloidal silver’s effects. However, researchers found that colloidal silver’s potency is directly related to its level of positive silver ion (Ag+) concentration.
- Myth #4: Silver will harm your gut flora or beneficial bacteria – A recent 28-day study showed that a high-quality, bio-active form of colloidal silver does not interact with or disrupt the beneficial bacteria in your intestinal tract.
- Myth #5: You’ll save money and get a better product by making your own colloidal silver – A recent trend is to make your own solution at home using a colloidal silver generator. Making your own – and not thoroughly testing the finished product – can put you at higher risk for toxicity, argyria (blue skin) and disappointing results, because it is very difficult to control total silver concentration and particle size with this at-home method.
Avoid Blue or Gray Skin When Using Silver
One of the questions that often arises about silver, mainly because of all the confusing information out there, is whether it can cause argyria. With argyria, the skin turns blue or bluish-gray in color, and in severe cases, it can lead to liver and kidney concerns.
Argyria is an irreversible condition caused by excessive exposure, either through inhalation or ingestion, of various kinds of silver:
- Elemental silver
- Ionic silver
- Silver compounds or silver dust
Low-quality colloidal silver products and ingesting large quantities – more than 10,000,000 micrograms over many decades – can lead to argyria. So can impurities in silver products.
Impurities in colloidal silver, such as proteins, salts, stabilizers and oxidizing compounds, can form silver compounds, which may be difficult to eliminate from your body. These compounds are most commonly found in colloidal silver products with higher concentrations of silver (ppm) or homemade colloidal silver.
A high-quality colloidal silver formula that’s free of salts, proteins and other compounds – and used according to directions – won’t cause argyria or adverse effects to your kidneys and liver.
How Our Silver Solution Compares to Other Colloidal Silver Products
You can’t be too careful when buying a colloidal silver product because there are no industry standards for producers. You must know and be able to trust the manufacturer of any silver solution.
Our Silver Solution is a high-quality bio-active silver hydrosol with a mixture of silver ions and small silver particle clusters. This exceptional silver product:
- Contains bio-active colloidal silver – what we consider to be the ultimate refinement and purity of colloidal silver with a low concentration of 10 ppm.
- Is free from salts, proteins, stabilizers and oxidizing compounds that can potentially contaminate the ingredients or impact the silver’s bioavailability.
- Contains the suspension of a high content (99.9%) of positively charged silver.
- Comes packaged in non-leaching glass bottles to help lock in and ensure purity.
To verify our silver particle concentration and dispersion in Silver Solution, we utilized Atomic Absorption Spectroscopy (AAS) to measure the silver concentration.
This technology goes beyond the traditionally used Transmission Electron Microscopy (TEM) – the standard for measuring particle size magnified 110,000x.
Support Your Immune Health and More with our
Safe and Effective Silver Solution*
Choosing a safe and effective colloidal silver can be challenging. Every manufacturer wants you to believe their product is the best. Unfortunately, that’s not always true.
We’ve taken the guesswork out of finding a colloidal silver formula that includes only quality ingredients and is backed by research.
Our bio-active Silver Solution checks the three most important boxes – a low concentration of colloidal silver, no contaminants and a high content of positively charged silver for robust action in your body.
Order Silver Solution today for a whole new way of Taking Control of Your Health.®